Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tassel Booties, Blisters & Darling Dani


At the beginning of the semester, Danielle and I decided to have a girl’s day at the mall.

Danielle and I met at orientation for SUNY Oswego because we were in the same group. The first time I noticed her, we were playing a word game where we were supposed to describe ourselves in one word that started with the first letter of our names. I was marvelous Molly, she was darling Dani…a little red headed girl that looked as awkward in a social setting as I did. We started talking in the front row of an informational meeting, against the disapproving looks of the lecturer. We bonded immediately over the fact that we were both English majors, weren’t used to the party scene and how we were nervous as hell to be there. From some weird cliché reason...it was like I had already known her my whole life. Danielle is just like that.


We’ve been best friends since then and she’s the one person that I truly have spent my entire college experience with.  She knows me inside and out…all my secrets, all my imperfections, and all my strengths. Between the study sessions, the parties, the dining hall food, sharing a tiny dorm room together, and the best friend dates, we’ve been through it all. We’ve been together for every laugh, every cry, every drunken moment, every success and every heartbreak. College just wouldn’t have been college without Danielle.

Danielle and I have been together since before freshman year, so when she decided to move to Fulton our senior year to live with her boyfriend, I was distraught. I wouldn’t have my partner in crime available whenever I needed her. When she moved out of our house junior year, I was a wreck. I wrote her a letter telling her all the things I couldn’t get myself to say to her just yet…about how I was going to miss having her around 24/7 and how I wanted to us both to make an effort to stay close even though she was moving a town away. Now, I find it silly I was worried because we’re just as close as ever and every time I see her it’s exciting. Even though we have classes three times a week together, we have our dates once in a while so we can catch up outside of class.

We went into Forever 21 during our trip to the mall, our favorite place to try on the most ridiculous things we find. Wearing shorts and flip flops, I slipped into a cheetah fur jacket to make Danielle laugh. We found the most ridiculous party dresses that were too short and too sparkly to be worn in public that we decided we must try on. We ventured through the rooms, each donned with an individual style, trying to find the room that fit us best. Of course, the shoe room is my favorite (but it’s dangerous because I’m always walking out with a shopping bag whenever I dare to explore over there).



That’s when I saw them. My tassel booties. At first, I thought they were ridiculous. Suede with fringe all down the side, swinging about while you walk? Stupid…though we all know I like motion from my pompom winter boots. Hmm, maybe I’d just try them on?


It was one of those familiar moments when you see something you like but you’re not sure how it’s going to look yet so you break away from who you’re with to check them out. When I got closer, I realized I liked them. A lot. But I kind of thought they were a little obnoxious at the same time. That’s what I like about shoes though…when they have that element of me in them along with something about them that kind of scares me a little bit because it’s so not me at the same time.

     Danielle disagreed though.

    “Those are so you.”

     “Really?” I asked, surprised she knew they were completely me before I did.

The first day I wore my boots, I was stupid. First of all, I didn’t break them in first and second of all, I wore them during the one day a week that I walk to three classes, in a row, that are all in opposite directions.  I didn’t realize how high the heels were either until I started walking around on campus. Needless to say my tassel booties betrayed me and I ended up with blisters. Big, peeling, puffy, swollen blisters on the bottom on my feet.

Of course, the next day I complained to Danielle. Like every other time, she felt my pain.

     “Aw, blisters suck!” she said, giving her sympathetic and sincere puppy dog lip. “It will heal though,” she said, followed by her infectious grin.

If you knew Danielle at all, you could picture this since she does this constantly. She deflates when you tell her something negative, and brightens the next second with something positive.

Though it’s a small thing, it always makes me feel better. That someone, for just two seconds, can feel my pain with me. Not comparing themselves to my pain, not one upping me with their blister story, not giving an insincere comment…No, it’s something she’s done for me ever since I met her. Every time I tell her something she takes it to heart, and takes it on as her own. It’s a trait in her that I have always admired. That someone can be so selfless and so affected by someone else’s problems.

Whether it’s a blister, or a bad test grade, or a breakdown, or to tell me that those shoes are “me,” Danielle is always there for me. And I hope she knows I’m there for her too. My darling Dani inspires me to be a good friend, and for that I will be forever thankful. 



1 comment: