Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cheetalicious: “The Bargain Queen”



In the last couple of years, I’ve watched the animal print trend grow to the point of obsession for girls. 


Everything from zebra, to leopard, to cheetah, to giraffe, to tiger is found on every possible item a girl could need. Coats, backpacks, purses, socks, shirts, pillows, car seats, shower curtains, bras, sweaters, and shoes, of course. Something about animal print really gets girls excited. Maybe it’s because it looks exotic. Maybe it’s just because it looks fashionable.
I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a fiend for animal print too. I have my fair share of clothes, room accessories and obviously shoes, of some type of animal print. I think it might be a rule in a girls handbook somewhere that if they love it, they must walk in it. Rule number one. 
I have cheetah print boots and cheetah print heels. (I am aware that cheetah and leopard print are easily confused and I am a professional at mixing them up…so let’s just call them cheetah for the sake of the name of my shoes). My heels are currently at my mom’s house so I found a picture of the brand online.
I found my cheetalicious heels at a second hand store in Plattsburgh NY. 

My rules for second hand stores are simple:
           1.)    If you find your exact size, you’ve hit the jackpot.
           2.)    If you don’t, and you love it anyway, you make it work.

I have, on numerous occasions, purchased shoes that are too big and clothes that are too small. Whenever I go to a second hand store, I usually come out of the dressing room sucking in my stomach and dragging my feet in heels. I ask my mom, or my best friend Shevawn,

“How do I look?”

“Like you’re in pain.”

One of my many mottos when it comes to fashion is “beauty before comfort.” Though, I don’t tend to always follow my own advice seeing how I often wear jeggings (the magical stretchy jeans) or boots on a typical day. But since you don’t get to dress like that every day, when it comes to being pretty and having somewhere to go, you need to look good, so you suffer through.
So, my cheetalicious heels are size 7 and a half. Either I am hoping for a miraculous foot growth or I’m wearing tights, a pair of low socks, shoe cushions on the bottom of the shoe and foot sizers inside to make them fit. They’re cute and they were $5.00. I make them work.

I found my cheetalicious boots at Old Navy. I admit that I had seen the boots on a co-worker earlier in the day, asked her where she got them, and immediately jumped in my car after work with my mom and drove to the mall. They were on sale, I needed to act fast.
On a side note, I love spending little money. Regardless of how many pairs of shoes I have, almost all of them have been on sale, been used or been majorly marked down. I hate spending full price for something and mostly everything I own was on clearance when I bought it. As far as I’m considered, clearance is all the good stuff that everyone missed. Although I’ve had to rummage through bins, or push people aside, I always get a good deal. The best part is that no one can tell either. I save money and face.
My mom doesn’t mind helping me find good deals either. We go shopping a lot together and she and my step-dad call me the “bargain queen.”
We literally jogged to the back of Old Navy where all the clearance once, and found the section of boots. They were marked down to $9.00 and 50% off of the ticketed price. $4.50 for animal print boots?!
“I hope they have my size!” I yelled to my mom as I booked it across Old Navy.
I ran to the racks and started throwing boots aside to get to the cheetah print boots. Only two pairs left. First pair, size 11/12. Second pair, size 5/6.
“Meant to be, bargain queen!” my mom said when she caught up to me. 

6 comments:

  1. Your posts make me laugh. Fun, but not stupid-fun. (It might be interesting to have a post about the damage that heels do to women's feet. Just for some gravity...)(Not a requirement -- just a suggestion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a guy, shopping for shoes isn't something I do very often, but I can relate to wanted a good deal when buying things. I'm amazed that they sell heels so cheap. I always imagined they cost $30 or $40 per pair. I liked your rules for secondhand shopping, which pretty much said "If I like it then I'm definitely going to buy it regardless." I'd be interested to know whether or not anybody has ever given you grief about wearing animal skin. In this oversensitive world that we live in, I'd imagine you've encountered at least a couple people who are against very animal skin.

    -Mike Kraft

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post had me laughing so hard because it is so true. I have a zebra print bed spread and sheets, oh and a pillow case, can't forget that. I also have a pair of shoes that I adore and they are about a size to small. I didn't care. I made them work. After all they were on sale. Great post!
    -Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, I especially liked the bit:

    “How do I look?”

    “Like you’re in pain.”

    It reminded me of a song by the band Of Montreal called "Suffer for Fashion." Funny.

    Once again, I give you props for keeping my interest on a subject I would probably avoid ordinarily! Good writing.

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly-
    As usual, I'm both humored and interested by your blog. Your stories connecting to your different shoes are great comic relief, and I think using dialogue in this post was a strong choice. You also set your scenes really well in few words, so that I could totally see you riffling through clearance bins, (I'm right there with you.)Looking forward to next week's shoes!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a cool and interesting way to look at your passion for shoes and animal print. I loved how personable your story was. You shared dialogue, while also giving us great detail in your love for different types of animal prints. I too have you problem with purchasing shoes the right size. Although my problem is that I wear size 17 shoes, so it’s often times difficult to find the perfect fit.
    -Chris McPherson

    ReplyDelete