Saturday, April 14, 2012

"Rock It: Sex and the City Style"


One of my all time favorite shows is Sex and the City.


If you’re a girl, I don’t really see any way around it. Although the show is no longer being filmed today, there are constant marathons on television and always re-run episodes on HBO.  The show follows four best friends, Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha, in New York City during the 90’s as they navigate their way through relationships and difficult dilemmas. They always look fabulous in the series, but they show their vulnerability as well and it’s effortless to connect with the characters. The show is full of incredible fashion, sex, amazing parties, sexy men and inspiring messages. C’mon girls…what’s not to love?

The show of course revolves around sex and the characters intimate relationships, but a lot of times the big stars of the show are the shoes.
Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha are all obsessed with fashion and there are even episodes that are dedicated to shoe topics. There is an episode where Charlotte receives free shoes at an expensive boutique because she lets the store clerk with a foot fetish touch her feet, and another episode where Carrie’s shoes are stolen at a party where the rule was to leave shoes at the door and she stands up for herself and asks the hostess to buy her the same shoes back.

In the big movie debut of “Sex and the City” the catalyst that brings Carrie back into Mr. Big’s arms are the shoes that she left back at their apartment that she goes to pick up.

 Whenever I watch Sex and the City, I’m always inspired to go try on some of my heels and walk around my house pretending to be fashionable and like I have a long line of men interested in me. It’s hard not to want to be these women. Sure they have their issues, but they look damn good.  They also have amazing friendships and jobs I would kill for (writer, public relations, lawyer, art gallery owner).
Plus these women walk around in heels like it’s nothing. Oh, brunch at 8am? Oh, an art Gallery opening where I’ll be on my feet for eight hours? Let’s go to the park? I think I’ll wear my heels. Now that is dedication to the shoes.

I know it’s a TV show, but I like to think that there are real women that are confident enough to wear high heels around constantly.

I wish that I could wear my heels more often than I do. But when you live in Oswego or Plattsburgh NY, you stand out like a sore thumb in certain situations.  There have been times where I’ve literally been stared at and whispered about for walking into the Olive Garden with five inch heels. There was even a time I went to the local movie theatre and a girl flat out asked me “who I thought I was?” Apparently the fellow women customers wearing baggy sweat pants and their hair in messy buns didn’t approve. 

I get that heels are intimidating in general, but I also think the confidence that comes with wearing heels is intimidating too. Women can get jealous when other women can pull off heels. I’ve never understood that. If you want to, then get it girl! Who am I to stop you?
It’s funny how a small nasty look or a rolling of the eyes can make a person immediately deflate. You thought you looked good today, you’re ready to go and then suddenly here’s some jealous girl making you feel inadequate...ugly even.  

I say take that power away from them.

Walk confident. Hold your head high. If there’s anything I’ve realized over the years dealing with girls, is that if they are really that concerned with your style you should take it as a compliment. They’re obviously jealous. They wouldn’t say it or give you a dirty look if they weren’t. They’re jealous you look good and they’re jealous that they don’t.

Now, I try to wear high heels when I want. I try and wear any kind of shoe when I want. When I got to college, I learned that people, no matter what age, will always be trying to put you down and trying to make you feel inadequate. Don’t let them get to your head and don’t let them affect your style. Your style is an expression of who you are and if they don’t like who you are then forget them. Do you really think Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha would have let someone who didn’t like them ruin their style? Walk like the girls on Sex and the City…like you were born in high heels. Like it's no easy feat to be incredibly confident. 

Just like how you can dislike a certain kind of shoe, people are bound to dislike you. It’s just whether you let it change you or not. Well, I say no. Haters are going to hate. I say be who you are, walk in your heels, wear what you want. If you feel comfortable, if you’re happy and if you think you look good, then rock it. 


3 comments:

  1. I'll be honest and say that I have never seen a single episode of "Sex and the City," which also includes the movie. I think it was a combination of it being a woman's show and that it was on HBO, a channel I didn't have access to growing up. I still don't have a desire to watch the series today, but I did like how you made a connection between the show and real life, which can be hard to do. There have been times where I secretly judged a woman for wearing high heels in a situation where it seemed unnatural. It was never anything bad; it was more that I had an increased amount of respect for them because it takes a lot of courage to wear heels in a place where it doesn't seem necessary, like an Olive Garden or a movie theater. If you have them then you might as well show them off instead of letting them gather dust in the closest. I agree that there is an intimidation factor that comes with wearing heels. For men, it's more due to the fact that it would hurt really bad if she decided to take off one of her heels and stab us repeatedly with it for something we did or said to them. That's never happened to me personally though.

    Great Post!

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen sex in the city I'm sorry to say. It was a show that was not allowed at my house. But I agree with you. People do try and put others down and make them second guess their style because they are jealous and are too afraid to wear what you're wearing. I stopped wearing dresses when I was younger because I was made fun of at school for it. It took a long time for me to say screw other people I'm wearing a dress. Good post like always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly-
    I liked the pop culture tie in with this post, it was a nice change up. The obseravtions about girls judging others for wearing heels in certain situations is dead on as well...I know I've certainly done it. I also know it's because I suck at walking in heels and am jealous of their ability to.
    By the way, have a very happy 21st birthday.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete